AspenTech customers across industries and regions can achieve new levels of operational excellence with the newest performance and sustainability capabilities in aspenONE, as Lina Liberti, SVP, Product Marketing, Aspen Technology, Inc. mentions on her latest blog.
With sustainability and decarbonization on top of everyone’s minds and with the recent pledges and discussions that took place during COP28, there is an urgent need to speed up solutions to reduce emissions. The main challenge today is on how best to deploy those solutions at the scale needed to significantly move the needle, while ensuring operational performance and delivering a just transition.
Technology today can make a significant impact on climate change. AspenTech’s capabilities can help accelerate energy transition and the path to net zero with solutions from across the portfolio. By leveraging this technology into our Sustainability Models, we can ensure accuracy in sustainability solutions and tackle complex problems critical to making net-zero progress, with new and expanded updates.
As a result of the recent updates to aspenONE, AspenTech’s sustainability models library incudes more than 140 examples covering a variety of pathways such as carbon capture, carbon storage, hydrogen, lithium batteries, materials circularity, etc., to drive faster time-to-market for new processes and technologies.
Tripling Renewables, Doubling Efficiencies
In line with COP28 pledge to build the energy system of the future and recognizing renewables and energy efficiencies as key solutions to realize the clean energy transition, the models provide options to integrate renewable energy sources and reduce energy use to minimize carbon emissions. Here are some areas where the models can help:
- Track and reduce emissions across planning, operations and supply chains.
- Control and optimize operations to minimize energy use and emissions.
- Evaluate integration of renewable energy sources into processes, such as green hydrogen.
Accelerating zero- and low-emission technologies
There is an urgent need to drive innovation in both mitigation and adaptation technologies for an equitable transition to net zero. High-fidelity models contained in the latest aspenONE release can help develop solutions for the decarbonization mix and help shift the cost curves down. The models focus on abatement and removal technologies, such as carbon capture and utilization and storage, carbon removal and low-carbon hydrogen, as well as other solutions, to enable the energy transition. They can easily be adjusted to different conditions and extended from design into operations to provide value across the entire asset lifecycle. Take advantage of these models to:
- Support green hydrogen initiatives with out-of-the-box electrolyzer models and accurate modeling of hydrogen thermodynamics that help ensure safe operations across the value chain.
- Integrate bioresources into existing processes and redesign current production processes to use alternative, sustainable raw materials.
- Develop cost-effective carbon capture and carbon removal, support innovation for utilization of CO2 and assess capacity estimation for long-term geologic storage, to realize CCUS at scale.
- Improve efficiencies of circular economy solutions through advanced plastics recycling and lithium battery metal recovery.
Innovating through Industrial AI
Incorporating Industrial AI in these models can help overcome execution barriers for sustainability projects, improve economics and support investments. Making AI and ML accessible through our sustainability models can empower user to:
- Represent real plant behavior of low-carbon hydrogen and carbon capture processes with models created from operational data and first-principles constraints.
- Improve understanding of new technologies by capturing unknown or unmeasurable details of phenomena.
- Create high fidelity models that can be used for rapid and accurate decisions during integration of bio-based feedstocks into the energy mix.
Using the digital technologies available today, including sustainability models, AspenTech customers are making significant progress toward their net-zero ambitions, impacting climate change and moving closer to a sustainable future.